History - From bunkering station to service partner.

1929

Captain Heinrich Wegener took over the management of a bunkering station in Hamburg, acquiring a bunkering boat in addition in the mid-thirties. He supplied marine fuel and lubricants to motor coasters, deep-sea trawlers and harbour craft.

1946

Business was resumed.

1950

He established a firm under the name Heinrich Wegener and an office building and the firm's own lubricant storage facilities were constructed in the same year. Tank barges were chartered to cope with Hamburg's increasing fuel demands.

1951

The founder's son and present senior shareholder, Walter Wegener, became a partner.

1954

The firm was renamed Heinrich Wegener & Sohn. Over the next few years, the firm ordered the construction of its own first fleet of lighters, and the bunkering business was expanded to cover Bremen, Travem√ľnde, Cuxhaven and the Kiel Canal. Reliable service of the customers was ensured through long-term co-operation and delivery agreements with major oil companies.

1966

Walter Wegener became the sole managing partner. Since the merchant shipping business had increased moved abroad, he began to establish an international oil trading business in the early seventies, as one of the first independent bunker suppliers to ports in Europe and overseas.

1986

Heiko Wegener joined the firm, representing the third generation.
Business relations were expanded worldwide, and the supply scope extended to cover vessels of all sizes.

1989

Heinrich Wegener & Sohn Bunkergesellschaft m.b.H., a limited liability company, was established, with Heiko Wegener as a shareholder.

1994

The company became one of the first German marine fuel and lubricant trading businesses to obtain EN ISO 9002 certification, endorsing the excellence of its quality assurance system in the product and service sectors. Please find our latest certificate as PDF file (357 KB) here.

Today

The company is one of the world's most-reputable suppliers of fuel and lubricating oils to mercantile shipping.